Saturday, November 14, 2015

The Darkness of the Void.

The Darkness of the Void.

We get up early around here. But not on Saturdays. I hear the alarm and get up. Turn on the bathroom light for my sweet.  A sleepy “Good morning” and off I go like a happy zombie. Say anything you want to tell me at this time but don’t expect me to understand it, let alone remember what you said an hour later. It’s not quite that way on Saturday mornings. 

I wake sometimes as early as 3:30 and struggle to go back to sleep. Every ten to fifteen minutes I jostle myself awake again. At 5:00 I have had enough and gaze into the darkness of the void. I am the only one awake and it is up to me to  keep it that way until I see my sweet. I don’t want to wake anyone. It’s just not nice. Even K-Dog doesn’t want to get up. 

It’s a good time to read. My glasses are a bit smudgy. No problem, I can just go and… No I have to stay here in the dark void. It’s a good time to blog. No. I would have to leave the room. In my rubber crocks they make sounds like a gassy elephant as I go down the hall way so I better not.

Good thing my dad is up. We text for a while. Mean time he is puttering about his house making his breakfast, making his coffee. He is in Louisiana and I’m in Texas. The aroma of that fresh brewed coffee fills my head. Then I remember, it’s Saturday. I get instant coffee on Saturday. I squint in the darkness looking for any sign of my sweet. 

Dog finally goes outside. While he is outside, I take off my crocks and venture out of the room. She is still asleep. I got back as quickly and as silently as I could. Now K-Dog wants back in. I better open the door before he wakes up anyone else. Once he gets in he goes off to the other room and shakes until his dog tags sound like sleigh bells. He can get away with that you know. 

I think I hear a familiar tune in the darkness. Is that her alarm? I better get the bathroom light on. Another hour goes by and I see the sun rise. All I can think of now is, “I hope she gets up before I start dancing the full bladder polka.”


At last she is up. I wanted her to have all of the sleep she could get, especially now that she has a cold. She reminded me that I have to get ready to go to the men’s breakfast at church this morning. I get good coffee there, by Jimmy!! I look down at my started cup of instant coffee and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment