Sunday, November 1, 2015

The Blues of November First

The Blues of November First


It comes every year. It started when our first born was too old for trick or treat any way. It is a strange thing to ponder and it is stranger the older I get the more I think about it. We never lived in a neighborhood where I would feel safe to do trick or treat when our’s were little even if we wanted to. We lived as cheaply as we could in order to keep them in a Christian school. 

There was a time when I would come out flat footed and say that Halloween and anything related to it should be avoided. I never taught the kids to fear it though. The main thing was that is wasn’t Christian. As a Christian I see in the Bible that we win over the enemy. Why celebrate the looser? Many will tell you that Halloween is satanic. What of Halloween is and what events on October 31st is not? It is always a good time to have fun with your kids. You just don’t want to give the enemy credit for your fun. I am just not sure where this line is clearly drawn any more. 

In the 80’s there were no churches that we knew of that had a non halloween carnival for the kids to enjoy. I looked into it. That would have been fun. We had gone to maybe one back then. Seems like I was a clown in a carnival too. That was almost fun. Maybe have been two events we went to. I worked a lot back then. More often than not, a holiday was just a day that customers came in to buy more stuff and I was there.

When I see pictures of the grandkids all decked out in fun cute costumes I wished there was events where we could have done that with our kids. Not enough opportunity, not enough money and nothing we could have done about it. 

If it was available back then I would have worked a Jerky Direct business. As a grandpa I don’t want to miss a thing. 

JerkyDude.net

No comments:

Post a Comment