Friday, October 30, 2015

Midnight Serenade

Midnight Serenade

Everyone is tucked in bed sleeping. All of the lights were off. The occasional hum of the refrigerator seems to sing a lullaby in the darkness. The gentle swoosh of a passing car adds to the sleepy song. I begin to drift into the land of sweet dreams and then it happened. The midnight serenade of K-Dog tossing his kibbles. I got up quicker than you could say, “Here comes the fat man.” “DOG! this is the second night this week! What is wrong with you?”  With a quick sniff and a glance around the room I looked for a nasty clean up. I am no stranger to nasty clean ups. Sparing any details for future blogs…..

Finding nothing, I sent him out the door. “Lets get you outside if you need to do that!” He can stay out all night. The weather is fine. No rain. I continued to rationalize that idea as I nestled myself back into my comfy spot. I began to simmer down. Comforting scenes began to call me back to dream land. K-Dog began scratching at the door. My eyes fly open. It feels like my eyelids ripped the hide off of my eyeballs. “Stupid dog!” I mumbled. Leaving my good friend again I head for the door. Leave him out, no sleep. Bring him in, maybe sleep.

There is only so many times you can wake up like that and go back to sleep.

Dog is back in. I see him at his look out perch along the top of the couch under the window. Well, at least that is over and I can sleep. My comfy spot isn’t as warm and comfy as it was a while ago. Lay down. Tuck me in. Go to sleep.

After several deep breaths I finally start to relax at last. I hear the refrigerator humming. I pray short prayer of thanks giving. The breeze from the ceiling fan was soothing. I’m a drift on the calm sea of tranquility.  “Not again!!! DOG!” I am sure he made a mess this time.

I got up but not with quite the same enthusiasm as before. Looking around the room I find nothing. No nasty smells in the room either. “K-Dog, this is the second time tonight and the second time this week! What’s the deal? Get outside.” Returning, my comfy spot  didn’t look inviting any more. I’ll sit in this chair across the room and wait for him. I have knocked out there while on the look out for him many times before so I snatch a blanket. “What is wrong with that dog? Sounded like he was gagging on something. What should we zzzzzzz.”Several minutes pass and once more I let him in before he scratches his way through the door.


I’m a little sleepy this morning.




No comments:

Post a Comment