Friday, October 30, 2015

It doesn’t belong there!


It doesn’t belong there!


Many years ago, while I was still working at the grocery store, we got a new assistant manager. “Great! I have to break another one in.” I joked to myself. All you have to do is do a good job and everything will be fine. I wasn’t worried. 

It was a very cool day. You really need a jacket outside in the biting wind. Inside of the store it was too warm to have it on.

Running out with my first customer of the day, I was zipped up tight. Now in a bit of a lather, I pulled off my jacket to help the next order that comes along. I laid it on the top of a counter near by the exit so that I could snatch it up quickly. This way the customer did not have to wait as I hurried on with my jacket.

Back in the store, the new assistant manager took note that I put my jacket on the unused check stand counter and called me over with the tone of a second grade teacher. “Where do we keep our jackets when we are not waring them?” he tested. “I just keep it handy to…..” “NO! We keep them hanging in the men’s room. Go hang it up until you need it!”

It is always best to do what you are told on the job whether it is rational or not. I got it hung PDQ and back to work. A lady came up and I bagged her two or three bags and headed to the door with her. Mr. Manager was standing near by. “Mr. Manager sir. I know how important it is that we keep our jackets hanging in the men’s room until we need them. Well, it’s a bit cold out and I need to go get it. Would you mind explaining all of that to our customer as I hurry to get my jacket?”

Talk about your dear in the head lights! You should have seen the look she gave him! 

When I came back in from taking her groceries out he said that I can keep my jacket up front. He suggested that I have it out of sight. That’s the way I should have done it to begin with. Well, can’t think of everything.

It is stuff like that that makes JerkyDude.net look so good. 



   

No comments:

Post a Comment