Friday, May 20, 2016

Eyes Crossed in the Lotus Position

Eyes Crossed in the Lotus Position

Let me tell you about Mother’s Day.

Clean uniform and looking sharp I headed to work at Terry’s Supermarket. It was Mother’s Day. The weather was a bit rainy but not bad. 

Trudging through the store, greeting the customers as I went. Was I the only one with a , “Happy Mother’s Day” for all of the mothers that came through? All I knew is that there was plenty of them. Mothers, grand mothers and many many others came to Terry’s that day. I rather be busy than bored. This was a fun day.

Being a rainy day it was important to keep the carts dry. Manager told me to be sure that every cart I bring up to the store out of the rain was to be put under the awning so that they don’t get wet. It didn’t have to make sense. I did like he said. I went uphill to get the wet carts and put them in a dry place.

This is an old building and it was not free of the problems that come with that. This store building was a Kroger back in the 70’s. On my way back to the door I saw people standing dazed and confused at the doors. They were not opening. It happens. A much taller man on the inside was laughing at me as I did my best Hulk imitation while pushing the doors open. “That was so funny! You made my day!!” I love to make people laugh.

Crowds came in. Crowds went out. “Happy Mother’s Day!” Carts added up on the lot and disappeared as quickly as I could bring them up to the store. I was loving every crazy minute of it.

Spying out the check stand for the largest order, I staggered in that direction. “Lean on Me” by Club Nouveau was blaring over the noise of everyone on the front. I was ready to lean on something. Memory trip! When that song came out I got that record! I was grooving ands singing along, “WE BE JAMMERS! WE BE JAMMERS!!!!” I tried to sound as reggae as I could. I did ok for a white boy. Right in the middle of having a good time I was asked by someone whiter than me, “What are they saying?” With a puzzled expression I responded, “You’re kidding right? ‘We be jammers.’” and then, “What does that mean?” Roughly interpreted, “We are people who play music well.”

Zoning out, eyes crossed in the lotus position a thought comes to mind. They say that when this happens that it is indeed a form of meditation…. Buggies! Time to go gather carts again.

Hurrying through the parking lot, I was almost hit by a dude driving too fast in his white truck. He was too preoccupied with a finger up his nose to the second knuckle. 

Jamming several carts together I hear a dog barking at me. It was a Pomeranian! Imagine this dog came all of the way from Pomerania just to bark at me. I chuckled at that silly joke. If I think that was funny I must be some kind of tired.



No comments:

Post a Comment