Thursday, May 5, 2016

A Study in Orange

A Study in Orange



Another fine day at Terry’s Supermarket. The sun was shining and music was festive. There was plenty to do. Red grocery carts were calling my name from one end of the parking lot to the other. “OK Paw-Paw!” I said to myself, ”Best get those things brought up to the store. Remember to only take a few at a time.” What should I do? Should I take all that I can possibly push up or take several trips with a more manageable number of carts? It’s dangerous to take more than I can handle easily.  


Something new was afoot today. There were several men armed with paint, rollers and very long extendable handles. Buggies were turned on end as barriers to protect the men who were painting the lampposts. The paint was a cheery shade of orange. There was a long extension cord stretched from inside the store to a lifting cage. I was glad that I didn’t have to go way up there! From time to time I stop to see how far they were getting along. It was looking good to me.

Later, I had to go to the back of the store for something when I saw a young mother struggling. She was trying to get her little daughter to sit still in the cart. “Look! That man will get angry with you if you don’t sit in the seat right!” She pointed at me and whispered, “Pretend to be angry with her.” What? “I can’t do that to the sweet little precious sweetie!” I gasped. Instead I tried to make her laugh. The little one didn’t want to laugh. Did she think I was angry? Is my comedy material that bad?

About twenty minutes later, they were checking out so I bagged their groceries and tried again to get the little girl to smile. She never did. Oh well, off to another order across the front. I saw a little girl there. “Maybe I can get a smile out of this one.” I thought. I talked silly to her and made faces. Nothing worked. She just looked at me like I had an extra eye in my forehead. Her grandma didn’t even know English but she laughed at me. I got a two dollar tip for it. I didn’t do it for the tip but it was  good to see just how much my comedy routine was worth. 

Lunch time came. My sweet said that I should have something more than water for lunch. I have lost a lot of weight drinking water as lunch. Orange juice sounded good so I got that and drank the whole half gallon carton. “Burp!” 

After lunch I was ready to go get more carts. Tommy Tutone was belting out his song “867-5309” as I headed out the door. “Oh look! Some silly outfit left their Sonic garbage on the pavement. I’ll leave that and grab some carts.”

After I pushed a load of carts into its place a friend called me over. “You know what? They are using the wrong paint. It’s already starting to peal off.” He told me. “They are?” He said, “It was only for a tax write off.” I don’t know much about that sort of thing. If it was up to me I would have it painted right with the correct paint. I would want it to stay nice for a long time. Maybe that is why I don’t make the big bucks.




No comments:

Post a Comment