Friday, May 20, 2016

To Kill a Paw Paw


At fifty seven, I am finding out faster than ever that I am not Superman. I cannot work as hard as  I did when I was younger. With that, I cannot work slack handed neither. 

When it comes to work there is a verse in the Bible that comes to mind, First Timothy 5:8, “But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.” That sums up the importance of providing for the family. John Wayne said, “A man's got to do what a man's got to do.”

We went through a rough patch where we had to rely on the help of others. All through this time we prayed that I would be able to get a job. Our MLM was a washout but it was a good try. Long story short I got a job at Albertson’s! You can read about it HERE. I was scheduled at Albertson’s to change shelf tags every other week. My hours there were a feast or famine kind of thing. I would get a killer schedule, including an overnight on Tuesday into Wednesday or so few I would wonder if it was worth the gas to show up. My schedule was seldom ready at the appointed time. After seeing just what all I needed to bring in, I went to another store in search for more hours. I quit the first job for Terry’s Supermarket. I was working like crazy at Terry’s and loving it.

When my first boss found out what was going on he called me back to work! That gave me two jobs. Yes, this Paw Paw was working two jobs. One job was with Albertson’s and the other at Terry’s Supermarket. I hoped that I could do this and that I don’t end up having to choose one job over the other. I needed to work 30-40 hours a week in order to afford the things we need. I knew good and well that 20 hours was all I could get from a part time job. With two, I can get the hours that I need.  My second boss, at Terry’s, was willing to work with my schedule from Albertson’s. There are not many bosses willing to do that! This tells me that I am greatly valued. I knew then and there that Terry’s would be my choice over Albertson’s on the day I have to choose which job to keep. 

One week, it was like this. When I got both schedules it looked challenging but doable. I came in Tuesday morning expecting to bag groceries and haul in carts. When the Albertson’s schedule was changed to include that overnight shift it became impossible. Nevertheless I kept going. Seven hours at Albertson’s, four hours at Terry’s and back for eleven to whenever the job was done Wednesday. I called in sick to Terry’s for Wednesday night. I was far more than a little bit tired. In order for me to justify to myself to call in sick I would have to feel like I was never death. This qualified. I am thankful that I lived through it and can tell the story. 

This story has a part two.




http://pawpawtd.blogspot.com/2016/02/iron-man.html

No comments:

Post a Comment