Thursday, March 24, 2016

Kitty in the Wheel Well

Kitty in the Wheel Well


“What?” It’s time to get up. My sweet is up. I see the light from down the hall. “Breakfast… “ I shuffle down the hall toward the light and the sound of running water guided by the smell of fresh brewed coffee.

Standing behind the bar seats, I wait my turn at the sink and try to remember what day of the week this is.  I ask myself, “What day is this? Is it a trash day? Do I get breakfast ready by six or seven thirty? Did my sweet sleep well or did K-Dog keep her up? Where is that knuckle head? May as well feed him and get that out of the way.” One and one half scoops of kibbles for wee little doggie. I don’t care if he is a medium size dog, I like to call him a wee little doggie.

I am sure by now what day it is. Here comes my sweet with a good morning sugar smack. “Did you sleep well?” I asked. “Well, I did until about three when K-Dog had to go outside and then four when I had to let him back in.” “I’m sorry my sweet. The weather will warm up and I will sleep in the den soon. This way I will be the one to deal with that goofy dog.” Seeing him in his chair I shake my finger at him as a playful gesture of shame.

Next question I ask myself, “What was I to cook this morning?” Going for my first mug of wake me up I decide to make muffin sandwiches. Usually my sweet and I are quite content with cereal or oatmeal but if she has had a rough night with K-Dod I go ahead and cook something more. “What time is it?” Start too early we eat it cold. Start too late and we can get off schedule. “Better turn on the TV to see what’s going on in the world. Deborah Ferguson said something about Trump, don’t ask me what it was. Grant Johnston says that the weather will be fine today. Who is doing the traffic? I miss Samantha Davies.” 

Three frozen sausages in the frying pan. Fire on medium. Three muffins split on three paper towels. “Where did I put my coffee?” Three slices of cheese for the muffins and flip the sausages. Sweet daughter can’t handle the sausage if it is the least bit greasy so I get another paper towel to sop that up.

Three eggs, fried with yolk broken. Here comes my sweet! “What time is it Sweet? Am I still on schedule?” She answered, “How close are you to having it ready?” “I have to flip the eggs and it shouldn’t be long now.”

I go check the clock, “One minute to go. OH! Here comes sweet daughter,” “Good morning kid’o. Did you sleep well?” she answered “Yes.”  

Eggs in the muffins, sandwich it all together and wrap in the paper towels and serve. Sweet daughter gets her hot chocolate mix and coffee. 

Finally we are all at the table. “What time is it?” I ask myself. “We are on time. Maybe we are a wee bit late but not bad” After a prayer of thanks we start to eat. Sweetie asked “Did you take your pills?” “No. Here they go. Thank you for reminding me and thank you for keeping up with it for me.” 


Another wreck on I30. I’m glad that we don’t go that way. It is always a mess. The high way we go on is bad enough. Time for clean up. All rushing to get ready. Dishes in the machine. “Comb your hair.” 

We are almost getting late. Everyone is in the car. My sweet looked next door, “Look! Little kitty cat neighbor is in the wheel well of that truck over there.” “LET ME OUT!” hollered sweet daughter. “I have to say, ‘hi’ to little kitty cat neighbor.”

OK, Now we are late.


*******************************


No comments:

Post a Comment