Saturday, February 13, 2016

Iron Man (part 2)



It was important that I get better shoes! After I was paid we got me a pair. My sweet wanted to get me inserts. I see now that I should have gotten some. The thing is, I had no idea which to get. I didn’t want to get the wrong ones so we waited. New work pants and a few other things and home we went.

The next week was more of the same at the store. The only difference was that now my feet hurt in a different way. Well, at least I know what inserts to get! Time to get jelling! I still had to get on the floor to reach some things but it was encouraging that it was getting easer to climb the front of the shopping cart as I struggled back to my full upright position. “How long will it be before I am hardened and able to work these hellacious hours at this ridiculous task?”

Just a crazy thing….New promotion game most every sign had that. This means that the “Fancy Feast” cat food and many other signs swapped out the week before had to be changed. Tuesday during  the second overnight I had  signs swapping. Monday, I put up the fancy feast regular signs, Tuesday I was given the signs promoting the store’s game promo. Half dead Wednesday morning I switched to regular signs for fancy feast. Once that was done I was given a new stack that returned them to the game promo that I just took off.  

After that shift I asked the lady, “When do you want me back?” With a snap she said, “I don’t!” “That’s a fine kettle of fish.” I said to myself, “Am I fired? She is not able do that. I need to ask the manager.” I was sent to the one who made the schedule to work on the front. She was not there. I asked others who didn’t know. 

Once again I waited for my sweetie. Too cold to sit on the bench. I didn’t want to walk anywhere. “Maybe I better come back Friday.”  That is when the schedules are made available. 

Friday came and there I was at the time the schedules are ready. I didn’t have one. “What’s the deal? Now what do I do? I’ll come back Saturday and find out.” Saturday found me coming in the doors early. I was like a ping-pong ball bouncing between anyone and everyone who hadn’t a clue about what was going on. I saw the manager busy in his office. I should have talked to him. “Maybe this is not something to bring to his attention. I don’t know.” I was introduced to the schedule sheet. It didn’t have my name on it anywhere. Once again, “Am I fired?”

After church Sunday, we went back with a list of things to ask the manager. He doesn’t work Sundays. We went home and I made other plans for income that excluded that job. I will still do many of them as I can. It is a wise thing to have more than one income. This way if you loose one you have others still going.

Monday, I Stood outside the manager’s office for 10 minutes waiting my turn with the list in hand. At last he ended the meeting he was having and called me in. “Am I fired?” I asked that straight out and plain. I didn’t beat around the bush one bit. By now I have been there Friday, Saturday and Sunday being ping ponged from one to another who had no idea what was going on. Now I asked the man in charge. I was not leaving without the satisfaction of an answer. I think I almost knocked him out of his chair with that question because he was very animated in his response, “WHAT!!! This was the first time I had heard about this!” I told him that the lady didn’t want me working for her any more. He called her in. She answered, “I don’t need him to fill in any more. When we have a lot of tags again, I might need him then.” Communication is a great thing.

I told him that I was not on the schedule. No brag, just fact, he did not want to loose me. The customers already talk about how they like the way that I treat them. The man told me that I will be on the schedule Friday! I am so glad that I didn’t tear up my work shirt.

Today is Friday and I got my schedule! I work four and a half hours on Sunday. That is all there is on my schedule. It looks like I had better get busy with other ways to make money along with it.


Anyone want to buy a used bicycle? 

No comments:

Post a Comment